Q & A: What is a dissolution of marriage? Is it the same as a divorce?

Under Minnesota law, divorce is called dissolution of marriage. Divorce cases are decided in family court. The court "dissolves" or ends the marriage when the final papers are entered into the court's records.

These final papers are called the Judgment and Decree. The Judgment and Decree contains the court's final decision on other questions too. These include custody, parenting time, child support, and division of debts and property.

Click here for more information on Divorce.