Q: What if I signed a Recognition of Parentage but have not been to court, except for child support, and my child’s mother is always cutting short my time with my kid?

My child’s mother drops my son off but is always cutting short my time with my kid. She insists that she take him right away even when she comes to get him hours early from what she told me, and sometimes I do not get to see him at all. Can she do this?

A: Yes. The child’s mother has sole legal and sole physical custody until a court changes this. If you want to be able to enforce the time you have with your child, you need to go to court to establish custody and parenting time. Otherwise, the mother cannot be made to let you spend time with your child.